About the Collection

Brücke-Museum houses one of the most comprehensive collections of works by the expressionist artist group Brücke worldwide. In addition to works by its founding members Erich Heckel, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Fritz Bleyl, there are works by later Brücke members such as Otto Mueller, Emil Nolde, Max Pechstein, Cuno Amiet and Franz Nölken. The paintings, drawings, watercolours, graphic prints and printing blocks, sculptures and applied art of the Brücke artists provide in-depth insights into this creative period – even extending beyond the years of the group (1905–1913).

This selection is supplemented with works by artists associated with the group, such as Walter Gramatté, Otto Herbig, Max Kaus, Anton Kerschbaumer, Emy Roeder and Ludwig Thormaehlen. Brücke-Museum exhibits its collection in temporary, themed presentations within an exhibition space of 455 square metres; every exhibition shows a selected part of the museums’s extensive holdings anew.

The collection was originally formed from two endowments given by Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Erich Heckel in the 1960s. Both artists were committed to the museum in varous ways. Additionally, artists, collectors, the Fördererkreis Brücke-Museum e.V. and the Karl und Emy Schmidt-Rottluff Stiftung have supported the expansion and preservation of the collection, which is constantly growing thanks to these endowments and acquisitions.